Thursday, 7 February 2013

Uglies _ Term 2 # 2


How do you really define ugly? Kalindee talked about the characters role in the book such as Tally and Shay, but she is forgetting one person that I found just as important, David. David is the one who changed Tally’s opinion about Pretties. All of the events Kalindee talked about in her book review are true. I fully support Kalindee’s theme of the book. I think she explored the theme insightfully. Kalindee stated, “When Shay runs away, Tally is forced to make a decision that will change her world forever: turn her friend in, or never turn into a pretty at all.” Both Kalindee and I agree that this was one of the most important parts in the book, because this is her big decision. I think the scene of the book that Kanindee could have talked about was when Tally went to go see Davids parents, this is when Tally turned upside down.
Uglies is one of my most favorite books EVER! Scott Westerfeld is a skilled author; his writing never fails to plant a picture in your head. Here are some examples of Westerfield’s phenomenal writing: “It opened like a book in her hands, becoming two hover boards, then each of those opened up, and then those, unfolding like a string of paper dolls.” I really love the use of similes in this sentence! Here’s another sentence I enjoyed: “She pulled David toward her again, her fingers digging into the leather of his jacket. The cold, her aching muscles, the awful things she has just learned, all of it just make this feel stronger.” This sentence made me feel ­­­­powerful! This sentence made the whole scene so much stronger. Along with the writing, I found the setting of The Smoke very beautiful, with the breath taking trees all around. “As the tributary climbed its way into the mountains, the fields around her filled with flowers. Soon the brilliant white bonnets were as thick as grass, driving each other color from the landscape.” Overall I love dystopian books and anyone that likes this genre has to read it! 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica,

    I can really relate to your title because most books are quite inspiring. I think it is a perfect fit for your blog title! As for you writing, you are very talented and precise when it comes to making book reviews. One thing that I find you do well in all your reviews is adding direct quotes and supporting details straight from the book itself. It really helps to better understand the details you try to portray!

    The Uglies book was recommended to me by a couple of people as they said it was an excellent read, just like you wrote. I was planning to read it too but I got caught up with a different series. Your review really engaged me and I am planning to actually read it now! I just have one question, when you said that it was your favorite book, why? Is it because the author did an amazing job at painting a picture in your mind? <-- The reason I am asking this is because I really like books that draw images into ones mind as it helps me to better connect with the details, but I wanted to know why you like it as well.

    I also looked over your litspiration challenges and might I say they were all quite creative. Looking at your different posts I can clearly tell that you are quite into reading and analyzing what you read. Your posts show that you spend time on this blog and your efforts really show. Overall, excellent job Jessica. Oh and I love your background too (:


    - Maggie



    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved your blog!!! Wow! Great Evidence! I agree, those sentences did make me feel powerful, although I didn't read the book yet, I hope I will enjoy it as much as you did! Is this series mostly about a girls life? If so, why do you think a guy author would write a book about a girls life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your post about your results of the hunger games. I totally agree with the votes. I really like the theme of your blog! It's very pretty and matches you personality. I love the pictures you posted like the apple pages, the heart made from pages and the quote you posted about books, I guess books can really make you feel a certain way.

      Delete
  3. Hey Jessica,

    I really enjoyed your blog! I think its really great how you try to connect with your readers, especially through that poll you posted. I think your background is really great, and from what I learned in Grade 7, I'm sure you love the color purple. That's funny because purple is my favorite color too! I really enjoy how you try to connect with the book and put a lot of true thought into reviewing it. I liked your title, but how did you think of that? It has a pretty generic name, but throughout the blog, you really try to show how the books inspired you. Was this your plan from the start? How did you really build your blog around its title? A few of the books you have reviewed or talked about I have read, and I feel like your getting the same vibes from the book as I am. Anyways, I love the blog and I think your doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I nominate you for the Liebster Blog Award

    http://ktoread.blogspot.ca/2013/03/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete